; Plisherrific: Halloween 2011: Grave Fungus - China Glaze Zombie Zest + LA Colors Black Velvet

Nov 26, 2011

Halloween 2011: Grave Fungus - China Glaze Zombie Zest + LA Colors Black Velvet


I'm so happy! I finally got the related posts widget thing to work! Forget Linkwithin, go nrelate!

Anyway, back to biz. Now that Jme has provided a handy introduction to sponge gradients, here's a simple Halloween mani from this year!

[China Glaze: Zombie Zest]
Start with a base of China Glaze Zombie Zest, a brilliant glass fleck swampy green jelly, yum! This was the first China Glaze polish I ever picked out and happily put in my cart - I love the uglies!

[China Glaze: Zombie Zest]
Look how gorgeous it is! I think I used three coats here, then topcoat. ORLY It's Not Rocket Science is a close dupe of this but has a hint of blue sparkle that shows up a little more clearly.


[In the bottle: China Glaze Zombie Zest]
[China Glaze: Zombie Zest]
I tried to catch a hint of the blue sparkle in Zombie Zest. In person, it's more noticeable in the bottle but pretty much gone on the nail. Not quite sure if I succeeded in getting the blue in that pic just above or if that was a reflection of something!

And finally, the "gradient" bit! It's not much of a gradient... more like a touch of decay, or something. Sponge some plain black polish on the tips - the more uneven the better! Here I've used LA Colors Black Velvet, my go-to basic black polish.

[Base:  China Glaze Zombie Zest; Sponge tips: LA Colors Black Velvet]
[Base:  China Glaze Zombie Zest; Sponge tips: LA Colors Black Velvet]
Grotty! The delicious part is... DO NOT TOPCOAT AFTER! Because of the uneven finish of sponging gradients, polish tends to get a matte effect as it's less reflective when uneven. So the result is a nice gradient of finishes as well - the bright jelly glass fleck slowly giving way to matte black textured tips.

Super simple for all you gravedigging ghouls! Rowr!



0 comments:

Post a Comment